Installing the Oracle Instant Client will save you ~600 megabyes compared to the ‘full’ Oracle Client.
- Download Basic Package from the Oracle site
- Unzip to directory x (your ORACLE_HOME)
- Set PATH (Windows) or LD_LIBRARY_PATH (*nix) to the Instant Client directory x
- Move TNSNAMES.ora to directory x/network/admin (or set TNS_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME).
- Extend with SQL*Plus Package (optional)
- Start your application
Read my full article here: Whiteblog – Installing the Oracle Instant Client. (links in referred blog might not work!)
OLE DB, .NET and ASP.NET drivers are not included in the instant client (first Oracle link might suggest it is). These are included in the ODAC package, download them separately at these locations:
- 64-bit: 64-bit Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) Downloads
- 32-bit: 32-bit Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC) Downloads
Instant Client vs Full Client (Administrator and Runtime)
What Are The Different Oracle Client Components Installed With Different Installation Types (too much to sum up):
Client master note
Master Note For Oracle Database Client Installation (Doc ID 1157463.1)
Checked for relevance on November 4th, 2019.