Connecting with the Oracle Instant Client 11g to Amazon Cloud Web Services (amazonaws.com) can result in the next error:
ORA-28547: connection to server failed, probable Oracle Net admin error
I found that while pinging the host, it was not able to resolve it, but connecting with SQL Developer (22.214.171.124) was possible! Strange…
I downloaded the Oracle Instant Client 12c (126.96.36.199) and that works. It seems the Oracle Instant Client 11g (188.8.131.52) is not able to connect to Amazon Web Services…
Installing the Oracle Instant Client will save you ~600 megabyes compared to the ‘full’ Oracle Client.
- Read some basic info here…
- Download Basic Package for Oracle site
- Unzip to directory x (your ORACLE_HOME)
- Set PATH (Windows) or LD_LIBRARY_PATH (*nix) to the Instant Client directory x
- Move TNSNAMES.ora to directory x/network/admin (or set TNS_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME).
- Extend with SQL*Plus Package from (optional)
- Start your application
Read my full article here: Whiteblog – Installing the Oracle Instant Client. (links in referred blog might not work!)
OLE DB, .NET and ASP.NET drivers are not included in the instant client (first Oracle link might suggest it is). These are included in the ODAC package, download them separately at these locations:
Instant Client vs Full Client (Administrator and Runtime)
What Are The Different Oracle Client Components Installed With Different Installation Type In (too much to sum up):
Client mater note
Master Note For Oracle Database Client Installation (Doc ID 1157463.1)
Checked for relevance on 7 March 2016.